Sunday, August 7, 2011

Term 3's Concept...'Our Taonga-Our Treasures'

Term Three's concept is 'Our Taonga-Our Treasures.' The two essential questions are: What are Taonga? and How can Taonga be created? The enduring statements are: 1) A ‘taonga’ is a gift, belief or belonging that is treasured, and 2) Sacraments of the Church are treasured gifts from God. Below are whakatauki or proverbs that have strong connections within the questions and enduring statements of taonga/treasures. Maori proverbs called 'whakatauki' or 'pepeha' are sayings that reflect the thoughts, values and advice from past generations.

Ahakoa he iti he pounamu.
Although it is small, it is greenstone.

Ehara taku toa, he taki tahi, he toa taki tini.
My success should not be bestowed onto me alone, as it is not individual success but success of a collective.

Ko taku reo taku ohooho, ko taku reo tau mapihi mauria.
My language is my awakening, my language is the window to my soul.

He aha te mea nui o te ao?
He tangata! He tangata! He tangata!
What is the most important gift in this world? It is people! It is people! It is people!

"Let us keep close together not far apart. You are my taonga, I will not let you go" (Olivia)

"I want to keep close, not far away" (William)

"Talk to someone and they will talk to you" (Kaleb)

1 comment: